Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"Beautiful Black Woman: Thoughts of a (drumroll please).. White B'woy"!?

So as far as I'm concerned the "Black is Beautiful" campaign never gets old. As long as there are still young brown girls and older brown women for that matter who aren't comfortable with the their shade of brown, the campaign should remain and gain as much energy as possible. But still, you can imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon a blog entitled "Beautiful Black Women: Thoughts of a White B'woy" ::suck teeth::sigh:: "What in the hell is this?" I asked myself and then I read on.
Fellow blogger, Andreas Johannes, is...well..a white boy. A European white boy from Stockholm who's blog appears to be a quick nod to the celeb and everyday bronze beauties in the diaspora I'm not really sure what to make of it. Do I take at face value and say "I SEE YOU WHITE BOY!" or lean towards my skepticism and say he just has a little sexual fantasy going on. womp. womp?
The more I really take my time to think, the fact that he is European may give him a little more Vanity 7 cred. After all it goes without saying that the movement to see a black woman as beautiful in western culture was not spearheaded by white America. Rather maybe it was France who welcomed Josephine Baker or Zurich, Switzerland where Tina Turner calls home.

While America is full of its flaws I do believe that there is a change in the right direction regarding beauty and race. Although the "White B'woy" blog wasn't created by your corn fed, All-American, Midwestern white boy...the fact that the Internet can even give access to this point of view is pretty deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment